As a New Hampshire voter concerned with strengthening our democracy and protecting our freedom to vote, we ask that you please sign on to this letter to Senator Jeanne Shaheen and Senator Maggie Hassan, asking them to do what it takes to pass the H.R. 1 / S. 1 For the People Act.
We will submit this letter with your name directly to the Senators. After signing, a confirmation email will ask you to call the Senators' offices, speak to a staffer or record a message, and let them know your feelings on the For the People Act. Then please take the extra step of sharing this with friends, family and your social media channels to urge them sign on as well.
Thank you for taking this simple action to help save your democracy.
Your friends at Open Democracy and the Open Democracy Teams
Dear Senator Shaheen and Senator Hassan:
New Hampshire voters know all too well how our democracy has eroded. We see the anti-voter bills proposed in the NH legislature. We are bombarded by Dark Money advertising paid for by undisclosed donors. New Hampshire's election system, while secure, is out of date and not accessible to some voters. Our voting districts are unfair and have been gerrymandered for partisan advantage. The For the People Act can help fix our democracy.
We ask you, Senators, to do what it takes to pass the H.R. 1 / S. 1 "For the People Act" as soon as possible. The For the People Action would, for New Hampshire and all of America:
- End Gerrymandering
- Modernize Voter Registration
- Enhance Voting Access
- Empower Everyday Americans through Public Funding of Elections
- Secure our Elections Systems
- Increase Oversight & Accountability to Enforce Existing Laws
- Strengthen Lobbying Rules and Transparency
- Close the Revolving Door - impose a lifetime lobbying ban on members of Congress and a five-year ban on their senior staffers
- Strengthen Conflict of Interest Rules
- Expose Dark Money Donors
Senators, we acknowledge that the challenges are significant to pass this bill, yet the challenge of a failed democracy would be far greater. We ask that you take the necessary steps, even if it requires modifying or repealing the filibuster, to pass the H.R. 1 / S. 1 For the People Act.
Thank you, and we are grateful for your defense of democracy.
Help us keep NH from Being further Gerrymandered by getting a resolution passed in our town! Volunteer at the bottom of this page!
- Redistricting Warrant Article "How To"
- Sample Fair Redistricting Warrant Article Language for town meeting & SB2 towns
- Sample Fair Redistricting Resolution for Cities and town council towns
- What kind of government does my NH town have?
In 2010, a legislature hostile to fair, nonpartisan redistricting drafted new voting districts which gerrymandered dozens of NH towns. Now in 2021, there's a very good chance that this gerrymandering could get worse, not better. As you know, gerrymandering designs voting districts to "pack" or "crack" areas to benefit the party in power and make it harder for a fair election. Furthermore, this happened because the group tasked with redistricting in 2010-12 did all of their work out of the sight of the public. Transparency in this process will reduce the chances of further cheating.
Between Dec 2020 and the end of January 2021, volunteers working with Open Democracy and other organizations around the state will be proposing "petitioned warrant articles" in town-meeting & SB 2 towns around the state. In cities, volunteers will be working with city councils and boards of aldermen. In both types of government, we will be asking for a non-binding resolution to be sent to our state elected officials. We're asking a town's voters to:
- Demand fairness and transparency in the process of drawing new maps
- Require that maps be drawn with no favoritism to one party or the other
- Make sure that the mapping process happens in public meetings
- That towns of 3300 citizens or larger be given their own state representative districts, rather than being split with other towns.
- And that the board of selectmen from that town communicate in writing the wishes of the town to the State and Federal delegations.
We have more details on our Town Meeting "How-To" page, or if you live in a city or a town with a town council, our Council Resolution page, but this initiative is designed to use our local town warrants to inform local voters on the evils of gerrymandering, and pressure our legislature to put party politics aside and create nonpartisan voting districts for state representative, NH senator, executive council, and U.S. Congress. The voters want fairness, but politicians want power. As a voter, it should be YOU calling the shots!
If you want a short-term volunteer commitment which will make a difference in keeping our voting districts fair and for every vote to count, sign up to volunteer below! So we can get volunteers in as many towns as possible, we need YOU to become a volunteer town warrant article petitioner, which you can do safely from your home if you wish.