In 2020, in some of the darkest days of the COVID pandemic, one of our Open Democracy Team members proposed an "Open Democracy Book Club." To our surprise, 300 citizens registered for the first book and discussion in January. Certainly, the pandemic gave us some time at home to read, but the hunger to learn about the problems and how to fix them was there already. Our Book club now has more than 500 members!
Each time we address these three guiding questions about our democracy through the books chosen:
Where are we?
How did we get here?
What do we do about it?
Help us select Open Democracy Book Club’s 2024 selections - here!
Four times a year we read and discuss a new book. When possible, we have the author speak for 30 minutes. Then we are divided into breakout rooms for small group discussions, returning to the main group at the end to share ideas and pool resources. Everyone is welcome to participate, whether or not you have had a chance to read the book.
To Join the Book Club - Sign Up Below
You will be added to the Open Democracy Book Club email list, where members receive updates about upcoming books, guests, and discussion questions.
We recently concluded our 2023 season
In January we discussed The Scheme. As the story of Supreme Court malfeasance and ethics violations repeatedly makes front-page news, the paperback version of The Scheme comes at a time of crisis for the American judiciary.
In September, Kristin Eberhard joined us to discuss her book Becoming a Democracy: How We Can Fix the Electoral College, Gerrymandering and our Elections.
Our June book was Carol Anderson's One Person, No Vote: How Voter Suppression Is Destroying Our Democracy. Focusing on the aftermath of Shelby, Anderson follows the astonishing story of government-dictated racial discrimination unfolding before our very eyes as more and more states adopt voter suppression laws.
In April we were thrilled to welcome bestselling author, Pulitzer Prize-winning former New York Times reporter and Emmy award-winning producer and correspondent Hedrick Smith to our book club for a discussion of his book Who Stole The American Dream?
- January 16, 2024 The Scheme: How the Right Wing Used Dark Money to Capture the Supreme Court, by Sheldon Whitehouse and Jennifer Mueller
- September 14, 2023 Becoming A Democracy, How We can Fix the Electoral College, Gerrymandering and Our Elections by Kristin Eberhard
- June 13, 2023 One Person, No Vote by Carol Anderson
- April 13, 2023 Who Stole The American Dream? Hedrick Smith
- January 17, 2023 Democracy Vouchers by Tom Latkowski
- Sept 15, 2022 Daring Democracy: Igniting Power, Meaning, and Connection for the America We Want with Frances Moore Lappé & Adam Eichen
- June 9, 2022 The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together by Heather McGhee
- April 14, 2022 How Democracies Die by Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt
- Jan 13, 2022 Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right’s Steealth Plan for America with Nancy MacLean
- Oct 14, 2021 Our Time is Now by Stacey Abrams
- May 27, 2021 The Politics of Joy (and Sacrifice): The Fearless Walks and Historic Talks of Doris ‘Granny D’ Haddock, a compilation of inspiring speeches given by Doris with Dennis Burke
- Apr 15, 2021 They Don't Represent Us with Lawrence Lessig
- March 4, 2021 Unrigged: How Americans Are Battling Back to Save Democracy with David Daley
- January 21, 2021 Corporations are Not People: Reclaiming Democracy from Big Money and Global Corporations with Jeff Clements