Help us keep NH from Being further Gerrymandered by getting a resolution passed in our town! Volunteer at the bottom of this page!
- Redistricting Warrant Article "How To"
- Sample Fair Redistricting Warrant Article Language for town meeting & SB2 towns
- Sample Fair Redistricting Resolution for Cities and town council towns
- What kind of government does my NH town have?
In 2010, a legislature hostile to fair, nonpartisan redistricting drafted new voting districts which gerrymandered dozens of NH towns. Now in 2021, there's a very good chance that this gerrymandering could get worse, not better. As you know, gerrymandering designs voting districts to "pack" or "crack" areas to benefit the party in power and make it harder for a fair election. Furthermore, this happened because the group tasked with redistricting in 2010-12 did all of their work out of the sight of the public. Transparency in this process will reduce the chances of further cheating.
Between Dec 2020 and the end of January 2021, volunteers working with Open Democracy and other organizations around the state will be proposing "petitioned warrant articles" in town-meeting & SB 2 towns around the state. In cities, volunteers will be working with city councils and boards of aldermen. In both types of government, we will be asking for a non-binding resolution to be sent to our state elected officials. We're asking a town's voters to:
- Demand fairness and transparency in the process of drawing new maps
- Require that maps be drawn with no favoritism to one party or the other
- Make sure that the mapping process happens in public meetings
- That towns of 3300 citizens or larger be given their own state representative districts, rather than being split with other towns.
- And that the board of selectmen from that town communicate in writing the wishes of the town to the State and Federal delegations.
We have more details on our Town Meeting "How-To" page, or if you live in a city or a town with a town council, our Council Resolution page, but this initiative is designed to use our local town warrants to inform local voters on the evils of gerrymandering, and pressure our legislature to put party politics aside and create nonpartisan voting districts for state representative, NH senator, executive council, and U.S. Congress. The voters want fairness, but politicians want power. As a voter, it should be YOU calling the shots!
If you want a short-term volunteer commitment which will make a difference in keeping our voting districts fair and for every vote to count, sign up to volunteer below! So we can get volunteers in as many towns as possible, we need YOU to become a volunteer town warrant article petitioner, which you can do safely from your home if you wish.